Brawlers Avenue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ultimate Beat Em Up Community

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

[Jaleco] Rushing Beat series

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Don Vecta

Don Vecta

[Jaleco] Rushing Beat series Empty
PostSubject: [Jaleco] Rushing Beat series   [Jaleco] Rushing Beat series Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2015 4:56 am

(requesting mods to rename the whole section as "others" so many other principal Beat 'em Up companies can be discussed).

Rushing Beat a.k.a. Rival Turf!

Most people hate on the very first game of the series... and somehow they're right: derivative Final Fight clone, unpolished gameplay with few issues going on... and of course people hates it more because the American version, Rival Turf! is a butchered down version from the Japanese release.

I'm quite sure if the localization of the Rushing Beat game was as faithful as possible to the original, keeping the slightly more interesting storyline of Rick Norton's sister dissappearance, the intro cutscenes, the proper ending, the end credits, the full stages without being chopped down (like the Stadium Parking Lot, where you could see the background area) and keep the original names of the characters, the game wouldn't be trashed as it was.

In my opinion, it is a game with lots of potential if the gameplay was polished, and could have been a monstrous contender to the SNES version of Final Fight for the mere reason that it was multiplayer and slightly longer. For me, I have a soft spot for the areas, loving the olympic stadium (the whole 3 areas), the bus, the shanti town, etc. Music could have been better if there were more actual music in the loops instead of just a few seconds to be looped (my favorite being South of the Border), glad that Things are looking Up and Streets of L.A. got remixed in Rushing Beat Shura.

Anyways, I can't hate this game at all, despite its obvious flaws like jerky hitboxes, odd properties on damage and hit (players doing measly damage on normal hits while enemies chopping down huge chunks of health per hit or grab), cheap enemies with invincibility frames while attacking (that's making SPECIAL MOVES all the time! I fucking hate you, judos and Skinny!), unavoidable grabs and holds, that annoying pickup grab bug that was still latent in Rushing Beat Ran, etc. That's the reason I dedicated a homage mod for it in SORmaker and collaborating in a proper OpenBOR remake of the game with cleaner and definite gameplay mechanics (the mod is halfway done, gorgeous thing).

Here I leave you with a longplay done to revive the hype I had back in '92 (yup, first I rented this in SNES in Blockbuster, then I bought it half price as Rival Turf, ewwww). Sorry if I didn't play as stellar as I play SORR, but hey, I completed a cheap game! Very Happy

Discuss about this series.

Back to top Go down
Mr.Din
Admin
Mr.Din

PostSubject: Re: [Jaleco] Rushing Beat series   [Jaleco] Rushing Beat series Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2015 9:52 pm

I will open a section for other companies, thanks for pointing it out. Smile

As for Rushing Beat, I share your enthusiasm, the series as whole remains within my top 5 classic brawler series. This is a game series that needs a translation BAD. I'll give Brawler Brothers some credit however, it is the definitive edition of the 2nd game due to the fact that you can input a code to play the japanese version, basically it's a collection within itself. The cast holds a special place in my heart, especially wendy and Elfin. I mean after all a female wrestler and a female kickboxer/muay thai? <3

Shura is my favorite of the 3 due to it's potentially good story driven gameplay. I would've love to see something like this in say SoR3 where you could explore the areas and find different paths and secrets (SoR3 was going in that direction if you ask me) I actually happen to like Dick/Flynn and Elfin/Echo better than the rest of the cast.

It would be awesome to see the series revived, even if just a translated collection.
Back to top Go down
http://brawlersavenue.net
Don Vecta

Don Vecta

PostSubject: Re: [Jaleco] Rushing Beat series   [Jaleco] Rushing Beat series Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2015 12:44 pm

Regarding Ran, honestly, I didn't like the enemies. I found their design rather boring and bland. At least in the first Rushing Beat you could tell they were street punks with certain characteristics and styles. If only every mook and sub-boss might have more style than just being masked thugs (I did like their fighting styles per enemy, like the Kickboxers named Iron Leg or the Sliders), I'm sure the game would be more appealing to me since the visuals and music were awesome.

I also feel they were quite lazy in the boss department, using playable characters as bosses, oh well, at least they edited the sprite to make them look like if they were wearing a mask or a helmet r something that made them eeeeeevil.

I hated Norton's design there, he looked better in Shura. And that stupid name Hack & Slash for him and Bild? Idiots! I chose those names for my new bosses in my mod instead, lol.

As for Shura, to be honest, I never played it properly, but recently watched and downloaded a longplay with two routes available. And after I read a gamefaq about the whole possible endings, I was amazed that you basically can get 12 different endings (everyone has a good and bad ending, including the two hidden playable characters).

The whole story seems deeper and more conplicated and deeper, especially in Shura, Peace Keepers had, just like SOR3, some watered down poop that was still digestible, but those lame jokes they tried to do in the endings was just shit: the game overall is dramatic and darker in lore, and bringing those stupid jokes simply broke the mood.

I still find most enemies there super boring and without charm (perhaps the pirates were the exception), but also annoyed me that some "bosses" were just powered up mooks (like the Hunters who were just pirates in another palette, even Burnett was a white palette of them!).

Loved the concept of Yamaoka (a Kintark/Lord J wannabe) who fights cool if you behave in his dojo... but if you vandalize his precious golden vase, he truly goes madder than Kintark!

I'll take some time to actually play the game, feel the gameplay mechanic and see whatever it is meant to see. If I can feel the game, who knows, I could even try the whole trilogy.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Din
Admin
Mr.Din

PostSubject: Re: [Jaleco] Rushing Beat series   [Jaleco] Rushing Beat series Icon_minitimeFri Dec 25, 2015 12:51 pm

I absolutely agree on the enemy points made, RB1 has the most iconic enemies of the series. Not sure what direction they were trying to go in the sequels, maybe they wanted to highlight the fact that the goons were nobody clones and experiments but in that case they really needed to give the bosses some flare and flash to compensate. This is why a Rushing Beat trilogy could do the series some real justice, each game has awesome things to compliment each other.
Back to top Go down
http://brawlersavenue.net
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Brawl

Brawl

PostSubject: Re: [Jaleco] Rushing Beat series   [Jaleco] Rushing Beat series Icon_minitimeSun Oct 02, 2016 7:19 pm

Translation/re-translation for Rushing Beat/Rival Turf:
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2739/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Jaleco] Rushing Beat series   [Jaleco] Rushing Beat series Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[Jaleco] Rushing Beat series
Page 1 of 1