Brawlers Avenue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ultimate Beat Em Up Community

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What influenced the SOR characters

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Avenger

What influenced the SOR characters Empty
PostSubject: What influenced the SOR characters   What influenced the SOR characters Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 10:34 am

Nothing creative happens in a vacuum.

Anyone who's seen the SOR2 beta can obviously spot Street Fighter II was a huge influence on the game, at least on the different fighting moves. And at the time SOR came out, one of the biggest side-scrolling beat-em-ups arcade-wise and coming out on rival console SNES (Super Famicom) was Final Fight.

One can even make the leap and call Axel Stone a Cody clone (debatable, I know, but still the resemblance is striking). Which brings up this topic, what influenced the creation of all the main characters in the series? Beyond Axel, it's much harder to pinpoint a clear influence on the creation of Blaze, Adam, Skate, Zan or Max
Back to top Go down
DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

PostSubject: Re: What influenced the SOR characters   What influenced the SOR characters Icon_minitimeSat Sep 23, 2017 6:16 am

Blaze was based on Flashgal.

What influenced the SOR characters Fg03
Back to top Go down
http://ducksquaredgames.com
Brawl

Brawl

PostSubject: Re: What influenced the SOR characters   What influenced the SOR characters Icon_minitimeSat Sep 23, 2017 7:24 am

Axel was definitely based on Cody, but became his own thing with the flaming dragon punches.

I'd say Blaze was somewhere between Flashgal and Tyris Flare(Golden Axe, both in red with fire based names).

Max would have to have been based on Mike Haggar, since there's no other pro wrestler playable character in beat 'em ups prior to SoR2. Possibly both created by the fact that a lot of grab moves are wrestling moves.

Adam and skate, I think are just Sega/Ancient being progressive without thinking all that hard about it. Making them about more than their minority status, unlike modern writers(especially for certain major comic book companies). Also Skate represented the fad of inline skating, which was popular at the time, as well as giving kids a similar aged avatar.

Zan? I don't know, maybe there were a lot of cyborg anime in '94.

Last edited by Brawl on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
CosmoBG

CosmoBG

PostSubject: Re: What influenced the SOR characters   What influenced the SOR characters Icon_minitimeSun Sep 24, 2017 10:31 pm

Some of the characters in the game, like Adam, are just typical character designs of the era (late 80s/early 90s) Same somewhat with Axel. Also the same with several enemies. Skate seems to be a reference to DJ Boy, but also, as Brawl said, a representation of the inline skating fad. Max is obviously Mike Haggar in moveset. As for Zan, I cannot confirm this, but something gives me a Dragonball Z feel with his design and possibly moveset. In terms of appearance, I am not sure if this was intended or not, but Barbon looks pretty similar to Haggar in the face.

If we were to turn things around, Gren from Dungeon magic looks exactly like Max. To the point I think he may have been inspired by him.
Back to top Go down
Avenger

PostSubject: Re: What influenced the SOR characters   What influenced the SOR characters Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 9:29 am

Brawl is most likely to be right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What influenced the SOR characters   What influenced the SOR characters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What influenced the SOR characters
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brawlers Avenue :: Wood Oak Central :: Streets of Rage Discussion :: Classic Streets of Rage-
Jump to: